* It is necesarry to have experts who are specialized in the Istanbul Protocol.
Recognizing that one of the problems for the documentation of torture is the lack of training of civil servants who are responsible for the administration and the enforcement of law as well as public security, CODIGO DH observes the urgency to offer a comprehensive training to provide theoretical and methodological tools regarding the documentation of torture.
Therefore, together with the Collective against Torture and Impunity (Colectivo contra la Tortura y la Impunidad, CCTI), in coordination with the Universidad Autónoma Benito Juárez de Oaxaca (UABJO) and with the support of the German Embassy in Mexico, the first “Workshop about Investigation of Torture: Use of the Istanbul Protocol” will be held in the facilities of the Institute of Sociological Research of the Universidad Autónoma de Benito Juárez de Oaxaca (IISUABJO), starting September 19. There will be independent specialists and experts who work on the documentation of torture in medical, psychological and legal fields.
The Istanbul Protocol is a guide containing basic lines with international standards on Human Rights. Furthermore it is an important tool for medical-psychological assessment of a person who is suspected or has been a victim of torture or other mistreatment.
The few professionals trained to work with this; according to official datas the General Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, (Procuraduría General de Justicia del Estado,PGJEO) has only one expert specialized in the application of this instrument, led the civil organisation CODIGO DH to make efforts on training some professionals in the use of the Istanbul Protocol from an interdisciplinary perspective enabling better research and documentation on torture and other ill-treatment or inhuman, degrading and cruel punishment.
For more information, write us on: email@example.com
- Urgent Appeal to the International Community from Oaxaca
- Oaxaca: Eight years of impunity
- Susana Ramírez is Released without Chargues
- Justice for Betty and Jyri, 3 years of Impunity
- Declaración de la Coordinación Alemana por los derechos humanos en México ante el inicio del proceso Heckler & Koch: 15. Mayo 2018 en Stuttgart
- Political violence in San Dionisio ahead of 2018 elections